LoadBalancer With FreeBSD

jere jere at htnet.hr
Wed Dec 29 05:38:58 PST 2004

for example, I'm currently using pop/imap proxy
(http://www.vergenet.net/linux/perdition/) on two servers combined with
ucarp (http://www.ucarp.org/) for ip migration in case of machine
failure and with 'mon' (http://www.kernel.org/software/mon/) for service
(perdition) failure.  My 'mon' config checks availability of perdition
every 30s and, in case of service failure, it just shutdowns ucarp (i.e.
initiates ip migration to another machine using carp protocol).
afterwards, when 'mon' detects perdition service is up it just starts my
ucarp again.

This configuration is based on two carp groups (two vip addresses) and
it is possible, depending on failure scenario, both of them to be on
just one of these machines and afterwards to another machine.  In stable
state every one of these machines has just one vip.  This way I have
highly available service and can do any kind of load balancing (DNS
round robin  etc....).

This setup is achieved on linux machines but I think you can find
appropriate substitution for FreeBSD (or write 'mon' script yourself for
it is considered not to be a complex piece of code). Perdition pop/imap
proxy is available through ports system, but I think carp is available
as kernel patch only in FreeBSD. There is not a port of mon for FreeBSD
as I know.

hope help you a bit. bye,
j.