LoadBalancer With FreeBSD

Kahlil Erwin S. Talledo kstalledo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 05:04:37 PST 2004

Oliver,

You can always whip up a scipt that would check if a certain service
is up and running on your remote server... in the case of http you can
throw an http request at it....

regards,

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:38:35 +0100, Oliver Brandmueller <ob at e-gitt.net> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 05:45:05AM +0100, Arnaud Pignard wrote:
> > There is no real great LB on FreeBSD :/
>
> Yapp.
>
> > There is loadd how seems not very active project (never test).
> > You can do Round Robin with Ipfilter.
> >
> > Else you can try pen / morebalance etc... but depend of your need.
> > They are just proxy. pen work very well.
> >
> > Number of connection is not a big problem with good sysctl value and
> > compilation parameter.
> > The limit will be the hardware bus and interruption.
> >
> > PF+CARP is certainely the best choose (check freebsd-pf list).
> > But it's currently not avaible except with applying patch and seems not yet
> > stable.
> > (UCARP should be soon avaible on FBSD)
> >
> > Anyway, you will not find something like LVS.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > At 12:50 24/12/2004, Vahric MUHTARYAN wrote:
> > >Hi Everybody ,
> > >
> > >            Do you know any load balancer program for FreeBSD like linux
> > >            LVS
> > >. I checked ports and find out morebalance-0.3 and loadd-0.8 ?! Anybody use
> > >those programs?!
> > >I want make a load balance on my frontend servers ?!
> > >Could you give me advise about using hardware-load-balancer or
> > >software-load-balancer ?!
> > >And I wonder How many connection can handle FreeBSD box ?! Because hardware
> > >load-balancer can up to 2.000.000 connection per box. I think that with
> > >PIII
> > >and 512 machine I can handle ?!
>
> Well, after reading all that:
>
> All these solutions need a certain time to set them up. I cannot really
> tell about their quality, but you should consider, that a solution like
> CARP can detect and do a failover a problem, when a server crashes - but
> not a service failure, like httpd not working correctly anymore. Then
> it's a question, what you are trying to balance. http only? If so: How
> about session handling (if you need that)?
>
> We use a hardware solution based on Alteon 180 (or 180e). You can buy
> those for less than 2000$ and they save you a lot of headaches.
>
> My 0.02$
>
> - Oliver
>
> --
> | Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
> | Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |
> |               Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe.               |
> | Eine gewerbliche Nutzung aller enthaltenen Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |

# K a h l i l   E r w i n   S .   T a l l e d o
# Systems/Network Manager
# Riverside Medical Center, Inc.
#
# (P)   BS Aquino Drive, Bacolod City 6100, PH
# (T)   63.34.4337331.3131
# (M)   63.916.9247437
# (Y!)  kinuxxx at yahoo.com
# (MSN) kahliltalledo at hotmail.com