LoadBalancer With FreeBSD

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Wed Dec 29 03:38:38 PST 2004

Hi.

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 05:45:05AM +0100, Arnaud Pignard wrote:
> There is no real great LB on FreeBSD :/

Yapp.

> There is loadd how seems not very active project (never test).
> You can do Round Robin with Ipfilter.
>
> Else you can try pen / morebalance etc... but depend of your need.
> They are just proxy. pen work very well.
>
> Number of connection is not a big problem with good sysctl value and
> compilation parameter.
> The limit will be the hardware bus and interruption.
>
> PF+CARP is certainely the best choose (check freebsd-pf list).
> But it's currently not avaible except with applying patch and seems not yet
> stable.
> (UCARP should be soon avaible on FBSD)
>
> Anyway, you will not find something like LVS.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> At 12:50 24/12/2004, Vahric MUHTARYAN wrote:
> >Hi Everybody ,
> >
> >            Do you know any load balancer program for FreeBSD like linux
> >            LVS
> >. I checked ports and find out morebalance-0.3 and loadd-0.8 ?! Anybody use
> >those programs?!
> >I want make a load balance on my frontend servers ?!
> >Could you give me advise about using hardware-load-balancer or
> >software-load-balancer ?!
> >And I wonder How many connection can handle FreeBSD box ?! Because hardware
> >load-balancer can up to 2.000.000 connection per box. I think that with
> >PIII
> >and 512 machine I can handle ?!

Well, after reading all that:

All these solutions need a certain time to set them up. I cannot really
tell about their quality, but you should consider, that a solution like
CARP can detect and do a failover a problem, when a server crashes - but
not a service failure, like httpd not working correctly anymore. Then
it's a question, what you are trying to balance. http only? If so: How
about session handling (if you need that)?

We use a hardware solution based on Alteon 180 (or 180e). You can buy
those for less than 2000$ and they save you a lot of headaches.

My 0.02$

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |