LoadBalancer With FreeBSD

Arnaud Pignard apignard at webnext.com
Mon Dec 27 20:45:28 PST 2004

There is no real great LB on FreeBSD :/

There is loadd how seems not very active project (never test).
You can do Round Robin with Ipfilter.

Else you can try pen / morebalance etc... but depend of your need.
They are just proxy. pen work very well.

Number of connection is not a big problem with good sysctl value and
compilation parameter.
The limit will be the hardware bus and interruption.

PF+CARP is certainely the best choose (check freebsd-pf list).
But it's currently not avaible except with applying patch and seems not yet
stable.
(UCARP should be soon avaible on FBSD)

Anyway, you will not find something like LVS.

Best Regards,