Who are using FreeBSD for Hosting Env. and Which Update Method

Gary D. Margiotta gary at tbe.net
Tue Dec 9 14:14:17 PST 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Vahric MUHTARYAN wrote:

> and one more question I'm linux admin I can say more Redhat Admin :) We have
> Redhat 7.2 , 7.3 , 8.0 and 9.0 server but I did not think to update or
> promode any server  to new version  Do you alwyas update freebsd's when new
> stable version released  ? like 4.9 to 5.2

I just patch for security updates.  I currently run versions of the
following on machines throughout my network:

3.5-STABLE (actually my main use machine, which I'm composing this e-mail
from... gotta love software that Just Works!!!)
4.4-RELEASE
4.5-RELEASE
4.6.2-RELEASE
4.8-RELEASE
4.9-RELEASE
4-STABLE
5.1-RELEASE
5-CURRENT

On all boxes, I generally just security update the affected ones where
necessary, and that's about it.  It ain't usually broke, so no need
breaking it, thats what development environments are for... :-)

For full upgrades, if I don't feel like building world, since these are
cookie-cutter boxes, I usually just bring up a new server online, with the
newest RELEASE version (plus patches if necessary), copy over config
files, user files, and reboot, all up and running.

Main web apps I usually just recompile from source the latest versions,
and I get the benefits of newer, faster hardware, and fresh new versions
of the OS and server apps I need (usually just mail, web and DB).  I can
'upgrade' an entire box in under 1 working day usually, so I just go that
route.  It's actually faster for me to load up a totally new box than it
is to build world in some cases.

> > Hi!
> >
> > > Which verison FreeBSD are you using ?!
> >
> > Most of the server: 4.9. Some bit-rot, we're working on it.
> >
> > > How long does it take to complate all process ?!
> >
> > For one server, if it's fairly recent: approx. 10 minutes of
> > person-time, approx. 1-2 hours wall-clock (compiling).
> >
> > > and do you test those process on other machine before apply those
> patches to
> > > your production server ?!
> >

> > Yes, intensivly. We first do it to our desktop systems and testservers
> > (approx. 40 systems) before we make the rollout to the visible servers.

I always make it a point to build at least one box with the configuration
I'm wanting to put into production to make sure all the critical apps play
nicely before I go live to the guinea-pigs^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Husers.

Most of our stuff is standard, so it's not that big of a deal, but I did
run into webmail<->PHP version issues, so having a userbase not being able
to read their mail is not the type of situation I want to end up in, which
is why I've adopted the test-first approach.