i386/98154: 6-STABLE crashes when being online via modem (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A notebook)

Joe Vender jvender at owensboro.net
Sat Feb 10 20:10:20 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR i386/98154; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joe Vender <jvender at owensboro.net>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org,
 hm-gerhards at web.de
Subject: Re: i386/98154: 6-STABLE crashes when being online via modem (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo A notebook)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:05:05 -0600

 Well, I've set the tunable as suggested, configured KPPP and am using it now.
 So far, no problem, but I haven't been online for long either, so time will
 tell if thats the problem. I came across this which states that if you are
 using pppd, then you need to set the tunable to 0, if I read it correctly.

 This all makes me wonder, what is the advantage to having the debug.mpsafenet
 set to 1 as default, anyway, if the computer only has a single processor?
 Shouldn't the installer be smart enough to detect if the computer is single
 or multiprocessor, and set the tunable accordingly, at least until ALL of the
 network features are made MPSAFE so that it is no longer an issue? And, when
 installing FreeBSD 6.2, the kernel that booted from the install CD was
 GENERIC, but after the installation, the bootup showed that the kernel being
 used was SMP. Being that my computer is a single processor, shouldn't it
 default to the GENERIC kernel after installation, unless I request otherwise?

 Thanks,
 Joe