i386/109010: can mv directory within fat32 file system

ronggui 0034058 at fudan.edu.cn
Sat Feb 10 09:20:04 UTC 2007

>Number:         109010
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       can mv directory within fat32 file system
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
FreeBSD MyBSD.localdomain 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12 10:40:27 UTC 2007     root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

When I try to move a directory  into another directory within fat32 file system, the system complain that " not a directory?".

The fat32 system is one logical partition, not a primary partition.

My disk table is like this:

windows C:\ --- BSD slice --- windows D --- windows E

the windows C:\ is ad0s1,
the BSD slice is ad0s3 (and the ad0s2 is the windows extened partition),
the windows D:\ is ad0s5,
the windows E:\ is ad0s6.

Strangely, the problem does not occur with ad0s6. And in my other PC, This problem  never shows up.
>How-To-Repeat:
mount_msdosfs /dev/ad0s5 /mnt
cd /mnt
mkdir 1 2