freebsd 4.9 alpha ports link points into i386 tree ?

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Jan 21 19:11:10 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 06:54:38PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> OK, thanks for clarifying.  As far as I know there only needs to be
> one copy of the checked-out ports collection per release, so the
> others can all be replaced with symlinks [1].

Things are the way they are mostly because of how releases get done
I think.  For the most part different people do the builds for the
different architectures, post them to ftp-master at different times,
etc.  There tends to be more coordination for the 4.X releases because
of only two architectures - fewer people involved.

> [1] If someone is going to retrofit all the old releases on
> ftp-master, be careful, because from past experience, things like
> rsync and/or cvsup don't like it when you replace a directory with a
> symlink.

When compared to the sizes of everything else in the FTP site doing
this might not be the best idea because it breaks being able to
carry one specific architecture if the architecture you choose
isn't the one with the "real" ports file.  It does save us a little
space but...

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu