freebsd 4.9 alpha ports link points into i386 tree ?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Jan 21 18:54:43 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:43:06PM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > > separate release tree.
> > >
> > > so should the actual behaviour on disk be:
> > >
> > > o ports directory in releases/i386/X.X-RELEASE/
> > > o symlink from releases/$arch/X.X-RELEASE/ports to point back into the
> > >   i386 ports directory of the same release ?
> >
> > Isn't that what you described?
>
> nope.  and this is getting confusing. to start again
>
> every architecture and release (4.X, 5.X) on ftp-master* has a separate
> ports directory. EXCEPT alpha/4.9-RELEASE/ports - which is a symlink to
> the i386/4.9-RELEASE/ports
>
> if the ports directory is identical for all architectures within a release
> (i am assuming it is not across the releases) then all but the alpha/4.9-RELEASE
> is broken as they all shouldn't have separate directories - there should be
> just one directory in the i386 tree which everything else links back into.
>
> if the ports directory is *not* identical then everything is fine except for
> the alpha/4.9-RELEASE which is pointing into a different architecture's ports
> directory.

OK, thanks for clarifying.  As far as I know there only needs to be
one copy of the checked-out ports collection per release, so the
others can all be replaced with symlinks [1].

Kris

[1] If someone is going to retrofit all the old releases on
ftp-master, be careful, because from past experience, things like
rsync and/or cvsup don't like it when you replace a directory with a
symlink.