SATA mirrror performance

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Wed Sep 19 13:43:23 PDT 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 10:21 pm, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:

> The main advantage of ataraid is its integration with BIOS and
> other operating systems.  If we had something like a master GEOM
> device which could read ata raid specs and build GEOM graphs based
> on this information, that would be a good workaround.  I am not
> sure if this is enough, but at least would solve startup problems.
> I am also not sure if it is even possible, because no single GEOM
> device would suffice: The master device should recognize disk
> labels, and call geom_mirror, geom_strip, geom_raid5, etc when
> needed.  I hope GEOM architects have something in mind, because
> this is very important to desktop and dual boot.

I can see your point, although I don't understand geom enough to
comment on everything you say.  I just wonder though, are there many
users that need to dual-boot a mirror?  I have only used gmirror on
servers, but then I am Mac user on the desktop, so any other OS's I
need I will virtualise.

> I can deal with geom_mirror, but I am not a typical user.  Most
> users don't even know FreeBSD supports mirroring, since it is not
> on installation options menu.  Indeed, install a FreeBSD with boot
> mirror support was still a complex task the last time I saw
> sysinstall.

It's not that hard, you just escape to the shell on the initial
sysinstall, and add the second provider after you reboot.  It's
definitely beyond a "typical user", but then like I say, I don't know
any "typical users" who want RAID-1.  I do agree though, that a way
to configure this in sysinstall would be very nice.

Ashley