SATA mirrror performance

Joao Carlos Mendes Luis jonny at jonny.eng.br
Tue Sep 18 14:22:02 PDT 2007

Ashley Moran wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2007, at 2:52 am, João Carlos Mendes Luís wrote:
>
>>    After using gmirror, now I have the RAID in its full performance,
>> getting over 60Mbytes per second at raw reads, very near the 70MBps from
>> the specs.  Could only be better if we already had NCQ working.
>>
>>    Now the question: Is this expected?  Is ataraid somehow deprecated?
>
> I had no end of trouble with ataraid.  At first I was under the
> impression it was the best solution, seeing as it has some support
> from the motherboard.  But after posting to a list (possibly
> -hardware) a long time ago, all the answers I got were to use
> gmirror.  I don't know that ataraid is deprecated, but I can't think
> of any reason to use it.  Fortunately (as you have found), turning an
> ataraid mirror into a gmirror is easy.  I would just use gmirror and
> not worry about it.

The main advantage of ataraid is its integration with BIOS and other
operating systems.  If we had something like a master GEOM device which
could read ata raid specs and build GEOM graphs based on this
information, that would be a good workaround.  I am not sure if this is
enough, but at least would solve startup problems.  I am also not sure
if it is even possible, because no single GEOM device would suffice: The
master device should recognize disk labels, and call geom_mirror,
geom_strip, geom_raid5, etc when needed.  I hope GEOM architects have
something in mind, because this is very important to desktop and dual boot.

I can deal with geom_mirror, but I am not a typical user.  Most users
don't even know FreeBSD supports mirroring, since it is not on
installation options menu.  Indeed, install a FreeBSD with boot mirror
support was still a complex task the last time I saw sysinstall.

Thanks for your info, anyway...