SATA mirrror performance

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Tue Sep 18 13:56:39 PDT 2007

On Sep 17, 2007, at 2:52 am, João Carlos Mendes Luís wrote:

>    After using gmirror, now I have the RAID in its full performance,
> getting over 60Mbytes per second at raw reads, very near the 70MBps
> from
> the specs.  Could only be better if we already had NCQ working.
>
>    Now the question: Is this expected?  Is ataraid somehow deprecated?

I had no end of trouble with ataraid.  At first I was under the
impression it was the best solution, seeing as it has some support
from the motherboard.  But after posting to a list (possibly -
hardware) a long time ago, all the answers I got were to use
gmirror.  I don't know that ataraid is deprecated, but I can't think
of any reason to use it.  Fortunately (as you have found), turning an
ataraid mirror into a gmirror is easy.  I would just use gmirror and
not worry about it.

Ashley