upgrade to version 8 - can not mount root

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 23 13:13:02 UTC 2011

on 20/05/2011 20:36 Eduardo said the following:
> da0 at ahc0 bus0 scbus0 target 5 lun 0
> da0 messages ...
> da0 at ahc0 bus0 scbus0 target 6 lun 0
> da1 messages ...
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
> ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
> If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following
> from the loader prompt:
> set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
> and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab
> Loader variables:
> vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/da0s1a
> vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
>
> Manual root filesystem specification:  ...etc..
>
> mountroot> <enter>
>
> pani: Root mount failed, startup aborted.
> cpuid=0
> KBD: stack backtrace:
> #0 0xc08ebe67 at kdb_backtrace+0x47
> #1 0xc08bc627 at panic+0x117
> #2 0xc0943fc7 at vfs_mountroot+0x4f7
> #3 0xc08737c0 at start_init+0x60
> #4 0xc0890f51 at fork_exit+0x91
> #5 0xc0bd5b84 at fork_trampoline+0x8
>
> I can boot the old kernel at 7.2 and recompile again with debug flags as needed.
>
> One thing I did try just now was to install 8.2 from the CD ... after
> I choose install options and he goes to create the filesystems I get
> these error messages:
>

> Unable to find device node for /dev/da0s1b in /dev!
> The creation of filesystems will be aborted.

First, this is not really a question for hackers at .  Perhaps stable@, geom@ or fs@
would be better choices.

To the subject matter, it seems like you could have an MBR that is reject by code
in in 8.  Have you tried to get a lit of devices that kernel sees at the mountroot
prompt?  What are those?

It could also be useful to boot from 8 or 9 live disk and examine how the system
sees your disks.

--
Andriy Gapon