upgrade to version 8 - can not mount root

Eduardo sathler90 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 18:00:20 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I have 2 machines on version 7 and I am having trouble trying an
upgrade to version 8 ... already tried 8.0, 8.2 and 8 stable ... same
problem, can not mount root file system on both of them.

I follow the 'standard' upgrade procedure, ie, csup, buildworld,
buildkernel, installkernel and reboot.I have been using the GENERIC
kernel, ie, no customizations.

I had the same problem on a server (dell 1650) a few months ago and
ended up upgrading to 7.4, so it is a weird problem that only happens
to version 8.

This one machine I am doing now is a box on my desk, so I can try
anything to debug it ... (it is an old IBM netfinity with a PIII and 2
scsi disks). I even tought it was somewhat related to disk, so I
switched the fstab to the geom labels ... but no luck ... had the same
problem.

boot messages are below:

da0 at ahc0 bus0 scbus0 target 5 lun 0
da0 messages ...
da0 at ahc0 bus0 scbus0 target 6 lun 0
da1 messages ...
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following
from the loader prompt:
set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab
Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/da0s1a
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

Manual root filesystem specification:  ...etc..

mountroot> <enter>

pani: Root mount failed, startup aborted.
cpuid=0
KBD: stack backtrace:
#0 0xc08ebe67 at kdb_backtrace+0x47
#1 0xc08bc627 at panic+0x117
#2 0xc0943fc7 at vfs_mountroot+0x4f7
#3 0xc08737c0 at start_init+0x60
#4 0xc0890f51 at fork_exit+0x91
#5 0xc0bd5b84 at fork_trampoline+0x8

I can boot the old kernel at 7.2 and recompile again with debug flags as needed.

One thing I did try just now was to install 8.2 from the CD ... after
I choose install options and he goes to create the filesystems I get
these error messages:

Unable to find device node for /dev/da0s1b in /dev!
The creation of filesystems will be aborted.
                           <OK>

Couldn´t make filesystems properly. Aborting.
                           <OK>

thanks in advance,
-Eduardo.