System Fails to Boot (Deadlock?)

Brandon Falk falkman at gamozo.org
Thu Jul 14 01:38:06 UTC 2011

On 7/13/2011 8:14 PM, Brandon Falk wrote:
> On 7/13/2011 10:58 AM, John Baldwin wrote:

>>> Since it's on a native box, I have no good way of copying the text, so
>>> perhaps later I'll copy it by hand. /boot/loader launches just fine,
>>> and
>>> it's outputting messages just fine, until it just halts. It does not
>>> hit
>>> sysinstall. This box also does not have net as LAN is shot on the
>>> motherboard (hence getting the new motherboard).
>>
>> What is the last message it outputs before it hangs?
>>

> Hello,
>
> Sorry, I've been busy with work and I can't be bothered with rebooting
> my machine right now. But, it seems I have duplicated a very similar
> issue under a VM. Under the 9.0-CURRENT-201105-amd64-bootonly.iso iso
> it 'locks' up during boot with yet again no error message or crash.
> This only seems to happen when 8 cores are allocated to the VM,
> everything is just fine and dandy with 4, 2, or 1 core(s). (Note, on
> my native box I was using the 8.2-RELEASE amd64 bootonly iso).
>
> On the VM the last messages I get are:
>
> SMB: AP CPU #x Launched!
>
> x being a number inclusive and between 1-7, in a random order
> (obviously the cpus start at 'random' times).
>
> I cannot duplicate this error on a successfully installed
> FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64 using the same hardware settings.
>
> Hmm, I just thought perhaps it is a CD issue... I tried
> FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly on 8, 4, 2, and 1 cores, and it
> seems to work just fine... argh.
>
> -Brandon

Hello,

Sorry for spamming out more and more messages, but I noticed another
pattern in the VM. It happens to fail sometimes even on 4 cores, it
seems to be COMPLETELY random (ugh...), in the matter that one time it
will boot, I'll do nothing but hit 'reboot', then it will work, then it
wont, then it will, etc. I am not making any modifications to the system
or hardware, it just seems to be completely random. I bet that sometime
I may be able to get it to boot in a kernel with even 8 cores, but the
randomness would make it very hard to do so. I'll try to get more
information when I get back soon. Give me a heads up if this problem
seems to be a common issue or something I may be overlooking. I'm
anticipating putting FreeBSD on my main machine, but since I have 12
cores on my main machine, I don't think it will boot any time soon...

-Brandon