System Fails to Boot (Deadlock?)

Brandon Falk falkman at gamozo.org
Thu Jul 14 01:14:40 UTC 2011

On 7/13/2011 10:58 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
> On 7/13/11 9:37 AM, Brandon Falk wrote:

>>> How far does it get when it locks? Is it able to load /boot/loader off
>>> of the CD ok? Is it getting into the kernel far enough to output stuff
>>> to the
>>> console? Is it getting into sysinstall and hanging at some sysinstall
>>> screen?
>>>
>>> Also, is this host on the network and able to PXE? It's a lot easier
>>> to test
>>> custom kernels if needed using PXE than CDs (no need to burn a new CD
>>> each
>>> time, etc.).
>>>

>> Since it's on a native box, I have no good way of copying the text, so
>> perhaps later I'll copy it by hand. /boot/loader launches just fine, and
>> it's outputting messages just fine, until it just halts. It does not hit
>> sysinstall. This box also does not have net as LAN is shot on the
>> motherboard (hence getting the new motherboard).
>
> What is the last message it outputs before it hangs?

Hello,

Sorry, I've been busy with work and I can't be bothered with rebooting
my machine right now. But, it seems I have duplicated a very similar
issue under a VM. Under the 9.0-CURRENT-201105-amd64-bootonly.iso iso it
'locks' up during boot with yet again no error message or crash. This
only seems to happen when 8 cores are allocated to the VM, everything is
just fine and dandy with 4, 2, or 1 core(s). (Note, on my native box I
was using the 8.2-RELEASE amd64 bootonly iso).

On the VM the last messages I get are:

SMB: AP CPU #x Launched!

x being a number inclusive and between 1-7, in a random order (obviously
the cpus start at 'random' times).

I cannot duplicate this error on a successfully installed
FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64 using the same hardware settings.

Hmm, I just thought perhaps it is a CD issue... I tried
FreeBSD-8.2-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly on 8, 4, 2, and 1 cores, and it seems
to work just fine... argh.

-Brandon