Updating PCI vendors database

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 4 18:04:39 UTC 2011

On 04/04/2011 07:10, Philip Paeps wrote:
> It looks like our /usr/share/misc/pci_vendors list (used only by pciconf as
> far as I can tell) has become rather stale.  We also appear to be tracking
> sources which no longer exist.
>
> Would anyone object if I updated this list to source the same database used by
> Linux distributions at http://pciids.sourceforge.net/v2.2/pci.ids?
>
> It helps that our pciconf looks to be compatible with that format.  We just
> ignore subvendor and subdevice, but it doesn't appear to matter that the file
> contains this information.
>
> I could cull the subvendor/subdevice from the list though.
>
> Any views?

Having read this thread, and the last one, my opinion is, let's do it
already. :)  Repo churn should not, under any circumstances, be a
consideration in technical improvements. I agree with those who have
said that the new list should be confirmed to be a superset of the old,
and anything missing should be merged in. Checking with Jack about Intel
stuff is also reasonable, as would be cross-checking with what NetBSD
and OpenBSD are doing (and perhaps communicating with them about your
work).

So, not a slam-dunk, but definitely a clear path forward. Oh, and I
personally don't see a problem with MFC'ing this, but I'm willing to be
convinced.

Doug

			-- OK Go