Common interface for sensors/health monitoring

Gonzalo Nemmi gnemmi at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 06:35:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:17 PM, Oliver Pinter <oliver.pntr at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello!
>
> When I good know, no common interface exisit in current freebsd
> kernel, but some other sysctl interfece exisit: coretemp, aiboost ...
>
>  ~> sysctl dev.coretemp
> dev.coretemp.0.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
> dev.coretemp.0.%driver: coretemp
> dev.coretemp.0.%parent: cpu0
> dev.coretemp.1.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
> dev.coretemp.1.%driver: coretemp
> dev.coretemp.1.%parent: cpu1
> dev.coretemp.2.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
> dev.coretemp.2.%driver: coretemp
> dev.coretemp.2.%parent: cpu2
> dev.coretemp.3.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
> dev.coretemp.3.%driver: coretemp
> dev.coretemp.3.%parent: cpu3
>
> ~> sysctl dev.acpi_aiboost
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.%desc: ASUStek AIBOOSTER
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.%driver: acpi_aiboost
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PCI0.SBRG.ASOC
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=ATK0110 _UID=16843024
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.%parent: acpi0
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.temp0: 190
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.temp1: 300
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.volt0: 1144
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.volt1: 3328
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.volt2: 5064
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.volt3: 12096
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.fan0: 1962
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.fan1: 1180
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.fan2: 1278
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.fan3: 0
> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.fan4: 0
>
> but no common if..

Is there an acpi_dell or something like that?

> On 8/22/09, Aurélien Méré <kindman at amc-os.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been using FreeBSD for years in all my servers, but I'm facing a big
> > problem today. All servers are under monitoring using a couple of
> > applications and scripts. Monitored items for each server especially are
> > CPU/mobo/UPS/HDD temperatures, CPU load, memory use, fans speed, PSU/UPS
> > voltages, HDD/RAID status&usage, network connectivity, UPS load, battery
> > status & runtime, ...
> >
> > My concern today, excepted that there is no way to gather all the data
> > through a unique interface and that consequently we have to change the
> > scripts depending on hardware, is that some information are no longer
> > available at all, especially concerning the MB IC, ie. temperatures,
> > voltages & fan speed. Actually, some SMBus controllers (like from 2006 or
> > so) are not supported by any driver and I didn't find any port updated to
> > access the IC directly (if even possible). Currently, I sometimes have to
> > use mbmon with direct I/O, sometimes mbmon with SMBus, sometimes healthd
> and
> > sometimes nothing works (PR 137668 or 136762 as examples in my case).
> >
> > Besides that, I was quite surprised that these information are available
> in
> > OpenBSD through a very simple and unique sysctl interface, with
> up-to-date
> > drivers, working on all my servers with a generic install. I know that
> below
> > this presentation layer, this may be much less perfect, and by digging
> in, I
> > found that a 2007 GSoC project for porting the OpenBSD sensor framework
> was
> > realised and planned to be put in HEAD. I also read hundreds of mails
> > concerning this project, and why finally it was not commited.
> >
> > As developer, I fully understand some of the concerns in these threads
> and
> > that there are probably lots of things to change and work on, integrate
> it
> > in a cleaner repository like snmp or whatever; and I'd be glad to help in
> > any
> > possible way to improve this. But in the meantime, as netadmin, this kind
> of
> > information can be very important to prevent or diagnose major problems;
> so
> > I'd like to know what is being planned/done on this subject, as I didn't
> > find any
> > more information related to this than a discussion during bsdcan 2008.
> >
> > Thanks for your help and time,
> > Aurélien

+10

I was looking for the same info a time ago .. something that would allow me
to gather all the info from the same place, but the only thing I came up
with was the very same discussion about the sensors framework port and
nothing else.

Any info on any such proyect will be greatly apreciated

Regards