Common interface for sensors/health monitoring

Marc Balmer marc at msys.ch
Sat Aug 22 07:05:57 UTC 2009

Am 22.08.2009 um 08:03 schrieb Gonzalo Nemmi:

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:17 PM, Oliver Pinter
> <oliver.pntr at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> When I good know, no common interface exisit in current freebsd
>> kernel, but some other sysctl interfece exisit: coretemp, aiboost ...
>>
>> ~> sysctl dev.coretemp
>> dev.coretemp.0.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
>> dev.coretemp.0.%driver: coretemp
>> dev.coretemp.0.%parent: cpu0
>> dev.coretemp.1.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
>> dev.coretemp.1.%driver: coretemp
>> dev.coretemp.1.%parent: cpu1
>> dev.coretemp.2.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
>> dev.coretemp.2.%driver: coretemp
>> dev.coretemp.2.%parent: cpu2
>> dev.coretemp.3.%desc: CPU On-Die Thermal Sensors
>> dev.coretemp.3.%driver: coretemp
>> dev.coretemp.3.%parent: cpu3
>>
>> ~> sysctl dev.acpi_aiboost
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.%desc: ASUStek AIBOOSTER
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.%driver: acpi_aiboost
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PCI0.SBRG.ASOC
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=ATK0110 _UID=16843024
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.%parent: acpi0
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.temp0: 190
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.temp1: 300
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.volt0: 1144
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.volt1: 3328
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.volt2: 5064
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.volt3: 12096
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.fan0: 1962
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.fan1: 1180
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.fan2: 1278
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.fan3: 0
>> dev.acpi_aiboost.0.fan4: 0
>>
>> but no common if..
>>

> Is there an acpi_dell or something like that?
>

>> On 8/22/09, Aurélien Méré <kindman at amc-os.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been using FreeBSD for years in all my servers, but I'm
>>> facing a big
>>> problem today. All servers are under monitoring using a couple of
>>> applications and scripts. Monitored items for each server
>>> especially are
>>> CPU/mobo/UPS/HDD temperatures, CPU load, memory use, fans speed,
>>> PSU/UPS
>>> voltages, HDD/RAID status&usage, network connectivity, UPS load,
>>> battery
>>> status & runtime, ...
>>>
>>> My concern today, excepted that there is no way to gather all the
>>> data
>>> through a unique interface and that consequently we have to change
>>> the
>>> scripts depending on hardware, is that some information are no
>>> longer
>>> available at all, especially concerning the MB IC, ie. temperatures,
>>> voltages & fan speed. Actually, some SMBus controllers (like from
>>> 2006 or
>>> so) are not supported by any driver and I didn't find any port
>>> updated to
>>> access the IC directly (if even possible). Currently, I sometimes
>>> have to
>>> use mbmon with direct I/O, sometimes mbmon with SMBus, sometimes
>>> healthd
> [...]

The OpenBSD sensors framework lacks some desireable features, e.g.
event capabilities like getting an event if a certain threshold is
exceeded.  And it propbably was used for things that it better had not
(yes, I am culprit for on of these (ab)uses...).

I am sure these features could be added if only the code was in the
tree to hack on...

- Marc Balmer