freebsd-update missed?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 27 11:15:16 UTC 2008

On 2008.09.27 03:59:28 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> The advisory explicitly goes over what files were changed, and what
> revisions include the fix.  The below versions include the fix.  If you
> have older versions, then the answer is no, you do not have the fix.
>
> http://security.freebsd.org/advisories/FreeBSD-EN-08:01.libpthread.asc
>
> src/UPDATING				1.416.2.37.2.6
> src/sys/conf/newvers.sh			1.69.2.15.2.5
> src/lib/libpthread/sys/lock.c		1.9.2.1.8.1
> src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_kern.c	1.116.2.1.6.1
>
> These are for CVS tag RELENG_6_3.
>
> I do not use freebsd-update.  That said:
>
> The man page for it states that it's a binary updater for pieces in the
> base system, so you looking at your *source* files would indicate
> absolutely nothing, other than when you last ran csup to update your
> /usr/src tree.
>
> I do not know of a way to verify if your libpthread library actually
> contains the fix.  We will have to wait for Colin's answer.

Errata's are distributed with freebsd-update just like advisories.

Since freebsd-update 2 (the one in the base system) /usr/src is also
updated if it exists.  That said, note that freebsd-update does not
get's patches from CVS so $FreeBSD$ unfortunatly isn't updated.

I just checked, for 6.3 the patch 'EN-08:01.libpthread' is on the
freebsd-update build server.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
Hat: FreeBSD Deputy Security Officer (IE, one of the people making