freebsd-update missed?

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 27 10:59:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 10:17:33AM +0100, xorquewasp at googlemail.com wrote:
> On 20080927 00:07:57, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > I'm sure it's there..
> > it may be a different problem of course.
> >

> I don't know... Checking with ident gives:
>
> $FreeBSD: src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_kern.c,v 1.116.2.1 2006/03/16 23:29:07 deischen Exp $
>
> The patch claims "1.116.2.1.6.1"
>
> Are these the same revisions?
>
> I mean, if I can determine that I definitely have the patch, then I have another
> problem to worry about!

The advisory explicitly goes over what files were changed, and what
revisions include the fix.  The below versions include the fix.  If you
have older versions, then the answer is no, you do not have the fix.

http://security.freebsd.org/advisories/FreeBSD-EN-08:01.libpthread.asc

src/UPDATING				1.416.2.37.2.6
src/sys/conf/newvers.sh			1.69.2.15.2.5
src/lib/libpthread/sys/lock.c		1.9.2.1.8.1
src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_kern.c	1.116.2.1.6.1

These are for CVS tag RELENG_6_3.

I do not use freebsd-update.  That said:

The man page for it states that it's a binary updater for pieces in the
base system, so you looking at your *source* files would indicate
absolutely nothing, other than when you last ran csup to update your
/usr/src tree.

I do not know of a way to verify if your libpthread library actually
contains the fix.  We will have to wait for Colin's answer.