freebsd problem: Cannot detect Hard Disk (SATA)

Xin LI delphij at frontfree.net
Wed Jan 19 06:24:43 PST 2005

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 09:47:16PM +0800, yoke an wrote:
>   > >    Hi ,
>   > >
>   > >    We have recently purchased Tyan Transport GX21 (B2735G21S2)
>   with Tiger
>   > >    i7501R S2735-8M motherboard. I'm trying to install FreeBSD v4.8
>   but it
>   > >    cannot detect my hard disk during the installation. I think the
>   > >    problem should be the SATA driver. Coz I'm currently using SATA
>   > >    instead of IDE/ATAPI.
>   > >
>   > >    Is FreeBSD v4.8 support SATA or any available free downld
>   driver for
>   > >    SATA? Can I use "ICH5-R SATA Chip driver " for supporting
>   FreeBSD
>   > >    v4.8? If yes, where can i downld it?
>   > >
>   >
>   >Could you try 5.3? I think 4.8 does not support SATA well, if at all.
>   On
>   >contrary, I am using SATA on 5.3 without problems, the last time I
>   tried 4.10
>   >all I got was unknown disk or something like this.
>
>   >Milan
>
>   Thanks. I knew 5.3 is work very well. But due to my application that
>   only support 4.8, so I need a way out to install 4.8.

I think this won't cause problem.  Actually, even if you need a full 4.x
userland, it's possible to get it through jail(8), I run FreeBSD 4.5, 4.8,
4.10 on our company's buildbox which runs 6-CURRENT and have no problem...

What's the *exact* problem?  Most issues can be resolved through the kernel
compatibility mechansim with COMPAT_4X libraries, so maybe we can help out
if you want to share more details :-)

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.