freebsd problem: Cannot detect Hard Disk (SATA)

yoke an yokean1 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 19 06:48:04 PST 2005

   > >   > >    Hi ,
   > >   > >
   > >   > >    We have recently purchased Tyan Transport GX21
   (B2735G21S2)
   > >   with Tiger
   > >   > >    i7501R S2735-8M motherboard. I'm trying to install
   FreeBSD v4.8
   > >   but it
   > >   > >    cannot detect my hard disk during the installation. I
   think the
   > >   > >    problem should be the SATA driver. Coz I'm currently
   using SATA
   > >   > >    instead of IDE/ATAPI.
   > >   > >
   > >   > >    Is FreeBSD v4.8 support SATA or any available free downld
   > >   driver for
   > >   > >    SATA? Can I use "ICH5-R SATA Chip driver " for supporting
   > >   FreeBSD
   > >   > >    v4.8? If yes, where can i downld it?
   > >   > >
   > >   >
   > >   >Could you try 5.3? I think 4.8 does not support SATA well, if
   at all.
   > >   On
   > >   >contrary, I am using SATA on 5.3 without problems, the last
   time I
   > >   tried 4.10
   > >   >all I got was unknown disk or something like this.
   > >
   > >   >Milan
   > >
   > >   Thanks. I knew 5.3 is work very well. But due to my application
   that
   > >   only support 4.8, so I need a way out to install 4.8.
   >
   >I think this won't cause problem.  Actually, even if you need a full
   4.x
   >userland, it's possible to get it through jail(8), I run FreeBSD 4.5,
   4.8,
   >4.10 on our company's buildbox which runs 6-CURRENT and have no
   problem...

   >What's the *exact* problem?  Most issues can be resolved through the
   kernel
   >compatibility mechansim with COMPAT_4X libraries, so maybe we can
   help out
   >if you want to share more details :-)
   >
   >Cheers,
   >--
   >Xin LI <delphij frontfree net> http://www.delphij.net/
   >See complete headers for GPG key and other information.
   >
   ><< attach3 >>

   Not sure if I can use COMPAT_4X libraries coz the recomendation is to
   use COMPAT_3X libraries for my application. I have read up lots of
   forum and discussion about the SATA but still have no any solution.
   Would you mind to send me any guide in steps to install SATA to
   freebsd v4.8. How can I configure this so my HDD can be detected? How
   can I go in to the kernel and run the command?

   To be honest, I'm still new to FreeBSD but I need to support FreeBSD
   to my customer. Hope anyone can help in this regards.

   Rgds, Ann

   Get an advanced look at the new version of [1]MSN Messenger.