FreeBSD 5.1 Installation probelms

70uf33q Hu5541n topa_007 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 02:29:41 PST 2004

hey guys,

Just got my copy of FreeBSD 5.1.
Spent about an hour going through the BSD Handbook and
preparing a Installation checklist.

ok here's my problem.

I have a WD 40 GB HDD
the primary partition is 10 GB, with the extended
partition 28 GB.(the rest 2 GB is in WD's bank).

OK , the extended partition has 3 logical drives.
To create a slice for BSD, I resized one of the
logical drives to free up some space. About 1.2
GB,cause that's all I can spare.

When I run the installation through CDROM, and the
point where I'm to creat the Freebsd slice,the new
partition is not displayed in the "FDISK" utility.

All I get is the primary (10GB) and the whole Extended
(28 GB).
The freespace I guess is "locked into" the Extended
Partiton. Not sure though.

Any workaround for this, or should I start with a new
HDD.

cheers,
TH

=====