diskless problems

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 11 08:43:05 PST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004, Danny Braniss wrote:

> while the subject is being revived, there are some changes/additions I
> made to libstand/bootp.c, it exports all the dhcp tags so that they are
> available to rc.diskless? or rc.d/initdiskless via kenv check out
> 	ftp://ftp.cs.huji.ac.il/users/danny/freebsd/diskless-boot/
>
> these are a bit date, but the uptodated stuff is actively being used
> here, so if there is some interest i could update it.

Sounds very interesting indeed.  Could you:

(1) Update it to bootp.c:1.5; this just removed 'register', and it looks
    like you've already done that.

(2) Restore the original file style -- right now, it's a very hard to read
    diff because you use different tabbing, function prototypes, etc, so
    it's hard to isolate and read the changes.  There's probably some room
    for style convergence (new function prototypes), but we have a
    long-standing tradition of committing style and functional chaanges
    separately so cvs diff is maximally useful between revisions.  It
    looks like the main difference is that you use four space tabs, and
    the original file uses real tab characters.

Then if you could file a PR and drop me the PR number by e-mail, that
would be great.  I can do the style stuff if necessary, but I figured
since you're much more familiar with the changes, it might not be a bad
idea if you did it :-).

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research