FreeBSD 5.1 Installation probelms

Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN] Danovitsch at Vitsch.net
Sun Jan 11 05:06:39 PST 2004

On Sunday 11 January 2004 11:29, 70uf33q Hu5541n wrote:
> hey guys,
>
> Just got my copy of FreeBSD 5.1.
> Spent about an hour going through the BSD Handbook and
> preparing a Installation checklist.
>
> ok here's my problem.
>
> I have a WD 40 GB HDD
> the primary partition is 10 GB, with the extended
> partition 28 GB.(the rest 2 GB is in WD's bank).
>
> OK , the extended partition has 3 logical drives.
> To create a slice for BSD, I resized one of the
> logical drives to free up some space. About 1.2
> GB,cause that's all I can spare.
>
> When I run the installation through CDROM, and the
> point where I'm to creat the Freebsd slice,the new
> partition is not displayed in the "FDISK" utility.
>
> All I get is the primary (10GB) and the whole Extended
> (28 GB).
> The freespace I guess is "locked into" the Extended
> Partiton. Not sure though.
Indeed you first have to resize the extended partition before you can use the
space to create slices. The "fdisk" program that comes with Windows has no
way to do this (except deleting all logicle drives in the extended partition
and re-creating them). Have a look at the program "Partition Magic". It can
resize partitions and it has a nice user interface.

grtz,
Daan