SimpleTech USB HDD driver

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Mon Sep 22 07:50:06 PDT 2003

Scott Mitchell wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 09:12:50AM -0400, dodell at sitetronics.com wrote:
>

>No worries - it's what the lists are for.
>
>AFAIK all USB mass storage devices should be supported by the umass driver,
>but some devices will have issues.  I use various flash cards and 'pen drives'
>all the time - a real hard disk should look the same to the driver.
>
>Bear in mind that 4.x only supports USB 1.1, so even if you have USB 2.0 ports
>on your machine, and a USB 2.0 drive, the most you'll get out of it is
>somewhere in the region of 1 MB/s.
>
>Look forward to hearing of your success - good luck!
>
>	Scott

Well, what do you know, a quick mount_msdos /dev/da0s1 worked just fine
;). Something to add to the hardware compatibility list I guess. Here's
the dmesg entry:

umass0: In-System Design USB Storage Adapter, rev 2.00/11.01, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <IC35L120 AVV207-0 V24O> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 650KB/s transfers
da0: 117800MB (241254720 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 52264C)

I did get the below message, but it does not seem to goof up anything.

(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ(6)/WRITE(6) not supported, increasing
minimum_cmd_size to 10.

My laptop only has USB 1.1 anyway (it's an old Latitude L400 -- don't
think it has 2.0 anyway). 650KB/s is fine. I'm just using it to back up
my *cough*VERY LEGAL*cough* mp3s ;)

Thanks for setting my head straight about this. I think this should be
listed on the web page. The reason I asked in the first place is because
there are no mailing list articles about this (that Google could find
with about 31899821498 different queries, anyway ;) and the webpage
gives me the idea that it doesn't support larger devices.

--Devon