SimpleTech USB HDD driver

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Mon Sep 22 13:54:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 04:48:16PM +0200, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> Well, what do you know, a quick mount_msdos /dev/da0s1 worked just fine
> ;). Something to add to the hardware compatibility list I guess. Here's
> the dmesg entry:
>
> umass0: In-System Design USB Storage Adapter, rev 2.00/11.01, addr 2
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <IC35L120 AVV207-0 V24O> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da0: 650KB/s transfers
> da0: 117800MB (241254720 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 52264C)
>
> I did get the below message, but it does not seem to goof up anything.
>
> (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ(6)/WRITE(6) not supported, increasing
> minimum_cmd_size to 10.

This is fine - just an informational message rather than anything
actually wrong.

> Thanks for setting my head straight about this. I think this should be
> listed on the web page. The reason I asked in the first place is because
> there are no mailing list articles about this (that Google could find
> with about 31899821498 different queries, anyway ;) and the webpage
> gives me the idea that it doesn't support larger devices.

Indeed... the docs should probably just list the classes of device that
should work, rather than specific instances.  I did once start updating
the umass(4) manpage to say this, but got discouraged by a flurry of
list messages complaining that XYZ device didn't work - didn't feel up
to documenting the intricacies of the quirking mechanism.  Now that this
is less of a problem, I should probably pick that up again.

Anyway, glad you got it working.

Cheers,

	Scott