patchlevels and FreeBSD source

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Nov 26 03:25:54 PST 2003

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 17:40, Daniel Lang wrote:
> 1. CVSup and build the world on your install-server (or any
>    other NFS server) pre installation, NFS export
> 	 /usr/src and /usr/obj to all your clients.
> 	 During post-install, mount these directories and call
> 	 'make installworld'.
> 	 This should take much less time and effort.

This is probably the best solution for the problem (IMHO :)

> 2. If you really want a installable CD image, you need to
>    build a release, cf. release(7). Beware, that make release
> 	 is a complicated process, that consumes a lot of ressources
> 	 and can take a long time.

For "modern computers" this isn't really true any more.
I have a 1Ghz K7 which does make release in 4 hours (after a buildworld)

That doesn't include building ports which takes a fair amount longer, but that
just depends what ports you actually want :)

It takes up about 2.1Gb of space (including building about 300Mb worth of
packages)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5