patchlevels and FreeBSD source

Daniel Lang langd-freebsd-hackers at leo.org
Tue Nov 25 23:10:20 PST 2003

Hi,

akanwar at digitarchy.com wrote on Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 08:09:56PM -0500:
[..]
> 4.8-RELEASE-p15 for example) and then build world. The cvsup/buildworld
> takes a long time. These steps are also difficult to automate.
>
> My question is: Is it possible that I update my cdrom image to the to
> 4.8-RELEASE-p15 before install ? In other words, are the patches that
> released as source diffs also available as downloadable cd images?
[..]

I see two possibilities:

1. CVSup and build the world on your install-server (or any
   other NFS server) pre installation, NFS export
	 /usr/src and /usr/obj to all your clients.
	 During post-install, mount these directories and call
	 'make installworld'.
	 This should take much less time and effort.

2. If you really want a installable CD image, you need to
   build a release, cf. release(7). Beware, that make release
	 is a complicated process, that consumes a lot of ressources
	 and can take a long time.

HTH,
 Daniel
--
IRCnet: Mr-Spock     - Der Schatten von Hasenfuss ist ziemlich dunkel -
 Daniel Lang * dl at leo.org * +49 89 289 18532 * http://www.leo.org/~dl/