patchlevels and FreeBSD source

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 25 23:24:26 PST 2003

At 20:09 25/11/2003 -0500, akanwar at digitarchy.com wrote:
>Presently I install my servers using a automated pxeboot method. The NFS
>image I choose is a copy of the freebsd 4.8-RELEASE cdrom. Post install I
>cvsup the plain 4.8-RELEASE server to RELENG_4_8 (taking the patchlevel to
>4.8-RELEASE-p15 for example) and then build world. The cvsup/buildworld
>takes a long time. These steps are also difficult to automate.

   After installing the RELEASE, install FreeBSD Update
(ports/security/freebsd-update), move its configuration file into the right
place, and run `freebsd-update fetch && freebsd-update install`.  Given a
decent internet connection, this takes no more than a couple minutes, and
is much easier than updating your install image every time security issues
arise.

Colin Percival