FBSD 5-CURRENT: Kernel Makefile.inc1 Error

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Mon Dec 8 14:50:34 PST 2003

Thus spake Michael Edenfield (kutulu at kutulu.org) [08/12/03 17:28]:
> with a 5.2 /usr/src:
>  * make buildworld
>  * make buildkernel
>  * make installkernel
>  * reboot to single-user
>  * make installkernel
>  * mergemaster
>  * reboot

I think you want that second 'installkernel' to actually be an
'installkernel'.

> The issue is, your kernel will continue handing out old file system
> structures until you reboot with a new one.  Rather early in the
> installworld process, you will stop being able to use fundamental system
> commands like ls and cp, which expect the new structures.

According to the posts by Mr. McKusick, the new kernel should be able to
understand both the old and the new structures -- so cp should *not* break.
So long as you follow his instructions, and reboot with the new kernel
before doing the installworld.

> Also, a small number of ports break as well.  Between the mergemaster
> and reboot steps you may wish to rebuild any critical ports.  postfix,
> for example, refuses to start it's smtpd until you rebuild it.  Any
> other ports which behave oddly, particularly those which die with a
> signal 11, probably need a rebuild.

Yes, I ran into that as well.  I gave up on guessing which ports needed to
be re-compiled, and just did a portupgrade -fa, and went to bed.