FBSD 5-CURRENT: Kernel Makefile.inc1 Error

Dimitry Andric dimitry at andric.com
Mon Dec 8 15:02:00 PST 2003

On 2003-12-08 at 23:50:03 Damian Gerow wrote:

>>  * make buildworld
>>  * make buildkernel
>>  * make installkernel
>>  * reboot to single-user
>>  * make installkernel
>>  * mergemaster
>>  * reboot

> I think you want that second 'installkernel' to actually be an
> 'installkernel'.

I'd advise some more coffee, you probably meant 'installworld' on the
second instance. ;)

Btw, I've also seen some reports, and experienced, that the first make
installkernel can also fail with signal 12's, probably due to the new
'install' executable using some not-yet-available system calls.

If you are stuck in this case, you can manually copy the kernel file
to its destination, boot from it in single user mode, and run
installkernel from there.  That saved my neck, at least...