Curious behavior of HAL in 2.18

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Mar 21 16:00:35 UTC 2007

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 02:26:41 -0400
>

> --=-OXpYbk/p7gFCiF1GWj94
>
> On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 21:08 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> > > Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:54:21 -0400

> > > Please provide a step-by-step procedure of what you're doing to create
> > > this behavior as well as the version of FreeBSD.
> >
> > Only one step:
> > mdconfig -f file
> > or
> > mdconfig -d -u 1
> > In stable, the first would have been "mdconfig -a -t vnode -f file".
> >
> > FreeBSD slan.es.net 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Mar 19 09:07:> 43 PDT
> >
> > A couple of seconds after I issue the command (which creates or deletes
> > /dev/md1), I get the messages.
> >
> > All ports are current except p5-Cairo which won't build the new version.
>
> I just tried this on 7-CURRENT amd64 with up-to-date ports.  I do not
> see this behavior.  What other HAL configuration have you done (e.g.
> extra fdi files)?  Can you try to isolate which process is trying to
> mount these file systems (e.g. using ktrace or truss)?  It is probably
> happening via hald, but something is telling hald to do this.  My guess
> is gnome-volume-manager.
>
> Joe

I don't think that this is relevant, but the file I was using as the
backing store for the md device is about 2GB in size and is a valid ufs
device.

I have no idea what an fdi file is. The only hal configuration I have
done is to hal-storage-fixed-mount-change-uid.privilege and
hal-storage-fixed-mount.privilege where I have added myself the the
Allow i.e."Allow=uid:oberman".

Of course, my system is running i386, not amd64.

Any place to read up on the gnome-volume-manager? I didn't see much in
the FAQ.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)