Curious behavior of HAL in 2.18

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Wed Mar 21 16:22:50 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 08:48 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > I just tried this on 7-CURRENT amd64 with up-to-date ports.  I do not
> > see this behavior.  What other HAL configuration have you done (e.g.
> > extra fdi files)?  Can you try to isolate which process is trying to
> > mount these file systems (e.g. using ktrace or truss)?  It is probably
> > happening via hald, but something is telling hald to do this.  My guess
> > is gnome-volume-manager.
> >
> > Joe
>
> I don't think that this is relevant, but the file I was using as the
> backing store for the md device is about 2GB in size and is a valid ufs
> device.

I tried with the 6.2-RELEASE boot.flp image since I don't have large
file system images lying around.  I don't see how the size of the file
is relevant since only one md device node will be created.

> I have no idea what an fdi file is. The only hal configuration I have
> done is to hal-storage-fixed-mount-change-uid.privilege and
> hal-storage-fixed-mount.privilege where I have added myself the the
> Allow i.e."Allow=uid:oberman".
>
> Of course, my system is running i386, not amd64.
>
> Any place to read up on the gnome-volume-manager? I didn't see much in
> the FAQ.

Not specific to FreeBSD.  It's basically the process that watches for
HAL changes, and executes configurable actions on those changes.  If it
is the one responsible for kicking off the mount, it will narrow down
where to troubleshoot.