Curious behavior of HAL in 2.18

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Wed Mar 21 06:27:41 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 21:08 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus at marcuscom.com>
> > Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:54:21 -0400
> >
> > On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 15:10 -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > Following up my own message, It is not the mounting or umounting of a
> > > system that triggers it. It is the creation or deletion of a device in
> > > /dev.
> > >
> > > I can understand this triggering HAL, but I don't know why it wants to
> > > alway remount all of the system partitions.
> >
> > Please provide a step-by-step procedure of what you're doing to create
> > this behavior as well as the version of FreeBSD.
>
> Only one step:
> mdconfig -f file
> or
> mdconfig -d -u 1
> In stable, the first would have been "mdconfig -a -t vnode -f file".
>
> FreeBSD slan.es.net 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Mar 19 09:07:43 PDT
>
> A couple of seconds after I issue the command (which creates or deletes
> /dev/md1), I get the messages.
>
> All ports are current except p5-Cairo which won't build the new version.

I just tried this on 7-CURRENT amd64 with up-to-date ports.  I do not
see this behavior.  What other HAL configuration have you done (e.g.
extra fdi files)?  Can you try to isolate which process is trying to
mount these file systems (e.g. using ktrace or truss)?  It is probably
happening via hald, but something is telling hald to do this.  My guess
is gnome-volume-manager.