Suggestion for GNOME upgrade script

Adam Weinberger adamw at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 13 20:27:03 PST 2005

Bartosz Fabianowski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just ran gnome_upgrade.sh overnight and I have a suggestion for an
> improvement.
>
> It would be great if the script had an option not to use BATCH=yes. I am
> a KDE user and reinstallation of the x11/kde port with BATCH=yes caused
> some problems for me. This port, which has some GNOME dependencies and
> therefore gets reinstalled by the script, is a meta port that installs
> all the other parts of KDE as dependencies. When BATCH=yes is not set,
> it presents a menu from which the KDE components one wants can be
> chosen. With BATCH=yes, there is no menu and *all* components get
> installed. As you undoubtedly will know, KDE is a very big project and
> there is probably hardly anybody out there who really needs all the
> components. For me, for example, the upgrade with BATCH=yes installed 7
> or 8 KDE components that I normally deselect. Including the additional
> dependencies caused by this, I ended up with more than 40 ports that I
> had not installed before.
>
> I realize not setting BATCH=yes means the upgrade will be interactive
> and there will be some ports that ask questions. That is exactly what I
> want them to do, as you can see in the example above. Maybe my
> suggestion could help some other people with their upgrades as well.

With the script, portinstall(1)'s stdout is a file, not the console.
There's no way to grab input from the console, and you wouldn't be able
to see the menus. If you only need a few kde components, just install
them and skip the kde metaport. There's no need to use the KDE metaport
when you only want a few things from it.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at magnesium.net || adamw at FreeBSD.org