Suggestion for GNOME upgrade script

Bartosz Fabianowski freebsd at chillt.de
Sun Mar 13 18:05:29 PST 2005

Hi!

I just ran gnome_upgrade.sh overnight and I have a suggestion for an improvement.

It would be great if the script had an option not to use BATCH=yes. I am a KDE user and reinstallation of the x11/kde port with BATCH=yes caused some problems for me. This port, which has some GNOME dependencies and therefore gets reinstalled by the script, is a meta port that installs all the other parts of KDE as dependencies. When BATCH=yes is not set, it presents a menu from which the KDE components one wants can be chosen. With BATCH=yes, there is no menu and *all* components get installed. As you undoubtedly will know, KDE is a very big project and there is probably hardly anybody out there who really needs all the components. For me, for example, the upgrade with BATCH=yes installed 7 or 8 KDE components that I normally deselect. Including the additional dependencies caused by this, I ended up with more than 40 ports that I had not installed before.

I realize not setting BATCH=yes means the upgrade will be interactive and there will be some ports that ask questions. That is exactly what I want them to do, as you can see in the example above. Maybe my suggestion could help some other people with their upgrades as well.

- Bartosz