question about icons for non-gnome apps

Fernan Aguero fernan at iib.unsam.edu.ar
Fri Jan 7 06:58:09 PST 2005

Hi!

I have what I consider to be a lightly customized gnome
desktop. I just added a few buttons/launchers to the top
panel for some apps I use all the time: mutt, firefox, gaim
and xterm.

http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/top_panel.gif

Some of these buttons (firefox, gaim) were added by
right-clicking on the panel and selecting 'Add to Panel' ->
'Application Launcher'. This adds a launcher for a program
that is already in the GNOME menu.

The other launchers (mutt, xterm) were added by adding a
'Custom Application Launcher' to the panel and then
selecting an icon.

The problem now is that when you launch these applications
only those in the GNOME menu 'remember' their icons and show
them in other places (like in the bottom panel where the
open windows are listed, or when you switch programs using
Alt+Tab):
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/bottom_panel.gif
http://genoma.unsam.edu.ar/~fernan/freebsd/alt_tab.gif

What kind of magic is needed to make the icon associated
with a custom launcher show everywhere? Or perhaps this is
not possible?

Thanks,

Fernan