Gstreamer-plugins splitting ports .. needs testing and feed back ?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Mon Oct 4 19:08:02 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 21:51, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> >> (10.04.2004 @ 2143 PST): Michael Johnson said, in 2.0K: <<
> >   - Figure out which ports use gstreamer-plugins and which plugins each
> > needs
> >> end of "Gstreamer-plugins splitting ports .. needs testing and feed back ?" from Michael Johnson <<
>
> I'd be interested in seeing the results of this sooner rather than
> later; I still don't understand why this is necessary. For anything that
> requires a libmad backend to gstreamer, we could just test for something
> and make a ${BROKEN} error or something.

That works when ports are being install interactively.  However, when
doing package building, we don't have that luxury.  We could mark a port
BROKEN if gstreamer-plugins was built without MAD support (the default),
but that would mean we couldn't package it.

Splitting the port into multiple ports would give us the ability to
package any port.  An obvious example of this is the upcoming
gnomemedia2 which will require CD Paranoia support in gst.

The major disadvantage to this approach is the overwhelming
administrative burden it adds.  It's a pain to test [py-]libxml2 and
[py-]libxslt.  I can't imagine what a gstreamer-plugins update will do.
For that reason, it might be nice to still have the ability to
test-build all plug-ins in a monolithic way.

Joe