Gstreamer-plugins splitting ports .. needs testing and feed back ?

Jose M Rodriguez josemi at freebsd.jazztel.es
Tue Oct 5 05:04:28 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 04:07, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> > >   - Figure out which ports use gstreamer-plugins and which
> > > plugins each needs

> > I'd be interested in seeing the results of this sooner rather than
> > later; I still don't understand why this is necessary. For anything
> > that requires a libmad backend to gstreamer, we could just test for
> > something and make a ${BROKEN} error or something.
>
> That works when ports are being install interactively.  However, when
> doing package building, we don't have that luxury.  We could mark a
> port BROKEN if gstreamer-plugins was built without MAD support (the
> default), but that would mean we couldn't package it.

If gstreamer-plugins becomes a metaport selector, no port may depend on
this.  They must depends on a gstreamer-plugins-base and the plugins it
really needs.

I think it must detect PACKAGE_BUILDING and only depends on
gstreamer-plugins-base in that case.

This is a real big 'logistic' effort.  It isn't by any means 'easy'.

> Splitting the port into multiple ports would give us the ability to
> package any port.  An obvious example of this is the upcoming
> gnomemedia2 which will require CD Paranoia support in gst.
>
> The major disadvantage to this approach is the overwhelming
> administrative burden it adds.  It's a pain to test [py-]libxml2 and
> [py-]libxslt.  I can't imagine what a gstreamer-plugins update will
> do. For that reason, it might be nice to still have the ability to
> test-build all plug-ins in a monolithic way.

a gstreamer-plugins-test or gstreamer-plugins-devel port?

> Joe
>
> > # Adam
> >

> > --
> > Adam Weinberger