6.1 quota bugs cause adaptec 2820sa kernel to crash ?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 24 22:26:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Ensel Sharon wrote:

> -----
>
> After loading, the system frequently (multi-daily) crashed with the error:
>
> Warning! Controller is no longer running!  code=0xbcef0100
>
> (after a page or so of aac0 timeout messages)
>
> So I disabled quotas on the system, and it has been completely stable ever
> since.
>
> -----

The above sounds a lot like a problem with {Adaptect driver, controller,
disks}, rather than a quota problem.  So it might be that there's an I/O load
change with quotas running that triggers the problem.  Alternatively, there's
a memory corruption bug (or the like) in quotas that corrupts data structures
for the adaptec driver, but hopefully not.  I believe Scott Long follows this
list, but if you don't hear back in a bit, you might forward that description
to him and see if he has thoughts.  In the past, he's maintained the Adaptec
drivers, but I'm not sure what his level of involvement with them is at this
point.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge