6.1 quota bugs cause adaptec 2820sa kernel to crash ?

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Fri Jun 23 17:42:15 UTC 2006

FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE, p4 xeon system, adaptec 2820sa SATA raid controller
with all 8 disks in use.

Two arrays are present - a mirror to boot from, and a 6-disk raid6 array
of size 1.8TB.

I am aware that there are problems with quotas in 6.1, but I am
successfully using them with 6.0-RELEASE and an adaptec 1610sa.  I figured
it couldn't be any worse...

-----

After loading, the system frequently (multi-daily) crashed with the error:

Warning! Controller is no longer running!  code=0xbcef0100

(after a page or so of aac0 timeout messages)

So I disabled quotas on the system, and it has been completely stable ever
since.

-----

Does anyone understand the mechanism wherein the 6.1 quota problems could
cause a raid controller kernel to crash ?  Is that possible ?  (it seems
to be)

Are there workaround for the 6.1 quota problems, as in "they don't work,
but if you sysctl this and set this, they will" ?

How close are we to working quota code on 6.1, and will I be able to just
patch some files in /usr/src and recompile my kernel, or will it require a
full rebuild of the OS ?

Thank you.