6.1 quota bugs cause adaptec 2820sa kernel to crash ?

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Sun Jun 25 04:59:30 UTC 2006

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Robert Watson wrote:

> > After loading, the system frequently (multi-daily) crashed with the error:
> >
> > Warning! Controller is no longer running!  code=0xbcef0100
> >
> > (after a page or so of aac0 timeout messages)
> >
> > So I disabled quotas on the system, and it has been completely stable ever
> > since.
> >
> > -----
>
> The above sounds a lot like a problem with {Adaptect driver, controller,
> disks}, rather than a quota problem.  So it might be that there's an I/O load
> change with quotas running that triggers the problem.  Alternatively, there's
> a memory corruption bug (or the like) in quotas that corrupts data structures
> for the adaptec driver, but hopefully not.  I believe Scott Long follows this
> list, but if you don't hear back in a bit, you might forward that description
> to him and see if he has thoughts.  In the past, he's maintained the Adaptec
> drivers, but I'm not sure what his level of involvement with them is at this
> point.

Yes, that is why I was asking - is it reasonable that quotas causes this,
or is quotas just "hard" and if I did something equally "hard" the system
would also crash ?

I can tell you this though - it is a busy fileserver with a lot of
intensive rsyncs going on, and with quotas involved it crashes hourly, and
as soon as you turn them off it never crashes.  No other variables have
changed.

What quota-like activity, that doesn't involve quotas, and also won't
destroy data (!) can I run to see if it crashes ?

I am more than happy to use this system to test things that coud solve
this problem for everyone - it is not the availability of this system that
matters, it is just that the data must remain safe...

thanks...