CFT: Fix VirtualBox on 9-CURRENT and recent STABLE

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Wed Mar 10 01:53:31 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 16:45:08 Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
> Dear patient VirtualBox User.
>
> As you all know VirtualBox is currently broken on 9-CURRENT and STABLE
> kernels. As far as i know from the various reports that only affects i386
> and not amd64 - please correct me if i am wrong. The symptom is that it
> works fine on an older kernel but on newer ones the VM aborts at startup
> and when build with debugging you see the following assert:
>
> 00:00:15.481 !!Assertion Failed!!
> 00:00:15.481 Expression: paPages[i].Phys != 0 && paPages[i].Phys !=
> NIL_RTHCPHYS && !(paPages[i].Phys & PAGE_OFFSET_MASK)
> 00:00:15.481 Location  :
> /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-3.1.2_OSE/src/VBox/VMM/
> MMHyper.cpp(610) int MMR3HyperMapPages(VM*, void*, RTR0PTR, size_t, const
>  SUPPAGE*, const char*, RTGCPTR64*)
> 00:00:15.482 i=0x0 Phys=0000000000000000 Heap
>

> Affected kernels are newer than:
> * 9.0-CURRENT r202894 (Jan 23 18:42)
> * 8.0-STABLE r203182 (Jan 30 06:23)
> * 7.2-STABLE r203208 (Jan 30 18:17)
>

> Alexander Eichner has done a rewrite of the memory allocation in
> VirtualBox which is ready to get tested. This should fix the above problem
> and also a double wiring problem noticed by Alan Cox. Please test our devel
> ports and give us some feedback (uname -a, does this port work?) so that we
> can proceed and get 3.1.2 fixed.
>

> The procedure is:
>
> - deinstall virtualbox-ose and virtualbox-ose-kmod (3.1.2)
> - get the tarball from
> http://svn.bluelife.at/nightlies/virtualbox-port-r755.tar.gz
> - extract the tarball
> - compile and install virtualbox-ose-kmod-devel and virtualbox-ose-devel
> (3.1.51.r27187)
> - reboot
> - DO NOT START ANY IMPORTANT VM WITH THIS VERSION!! Better create a new
> one or create a backup of the vm before testing it. Really!
>

> Thanks for helping to get this fixed!
>
> Your vbox@ Team (beat, decke, dhn, miwi, nox)

Just for the record;

Tested r755 on FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0 r204106M amd64 - Status Ok
(just like all previous revisions from blueports svn by the way)

One little thing I noticed with all revisions I've been using.

I had an XP vm running but on the login prompt. No activity on it.
Coincidentally, I was doing an fsck on ANOTHER partition (ext2) BUT on the
SAME drive the VMs are stored.

The little thingy that shows disk access on VBox, supposedly by the VM, was
full ON, reflecting, in fact, the fsck I was doing, and NOT any disk access by
the VM itself. I kept looking at it, waiting for the fsck to finish to see my
observation was correct. And it was! When fsck finished, the thingy went off
with it.

I know its not a big thing but, is it a bug?.
--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br