CFT: Fix VirtualBox on 9-CURRENT and recent STABLE

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Wed Mar 10 00:30:06 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 09 March 2010 11:45:08 Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
> Dear patient VirtualBox User.
>
> As you all know VirtualBox is currently broken on 9-CURRENT and STABLE
> kernels. As far as i know from the various reports that only affects i386
> and not amd64 - please correct me if i am wrong. The symptom is that it
> works fine on an older kernel but on newer ones the VM aborts at startup
> and when build with debugging you see the following assert:
>
> 00:00:15.481 !!Assertion Failed!!
> 00:00:15.481 Expression: paPages[i].Phys != 0 && paPages[i].Phys !=
> NIL_RTHCPHYS && !(paPages[i].Phys & PAGE_OFFSET_MASK)
> 00:00:15.481 Location  :
> /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox-ose/work/VirtualBox-3.1.2_OSE/src/VBox/VMM/
> MMHyper.cpp(610) int MMR3HyperMapPages(VM*, void*, RTR0PTR, size_t, const
>  SUPPAGE*, const char*, RTGCPTR64*)
> 00:00:15.482 i=0x0 Phys=0000000000000000 Heap
>

> Affected kernels are newer than:
> * 9.0-CURRENT r202894 (Jan 23 18:42)
> * 8.0-STABLE r203182 (Jan 30 06:23)
> * 7.2-STABLE r203208 (Jan 30 18:17)
>

> Alexander Eichner has done a rewrite of the memory allocation in
> VirtualBox which is ready to get tested. This should fix the above problem
> and also a double wiring problem noticed by Alan Cox. Please test our devel
> ports and give us some feedback (uname -a, does this port work?) so that we
> can proceed and get 3.1.2 fixed.

Two different i386 machines at:

FreeBSD memory.visualtech.com 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #10: Wed Feb 24
08:28:22 EST 2010     root at memory.visualtech.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MEMORY
i386

The devel port you linked to works fine here now where as I was getting the
errors you described above previously.  Great work!

Adam