Do we really need articles/cvs-freebsd anymore?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 8 06:08:09 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-08 00:57, Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 06:53:10AM +0100, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Now that everything (src, ports, doc) has moved off CVS, does it make
>> sense to keep articles/cvs-freebsd around anymore?  I think it's
>> probably better to point people away from ncvs/dcvs-style setups.
>>
>> It may also be worth replacing the cvs-freebsd article with something
>> that talks about subversion, or even some of the git repositories
>> mentioned in https://wiki.freebsd.org/GitWorkflow - but this can be done
>> separately.
>>
>> So what do you think, is it ok to 'svn rm' the cvs-freebsd/ article and
>> then look into replacing it with something more modern?
>
> My personal preference is to ensure we have a matching svn replacement
> before removing the cvs-freebsd/ bits, so we do not leave people
> straggling with converting from one source control system to another,
> or worse, newcomers that cannot find any documentation on the current
> source control system.

Fair enough.  The main point of this article is to help people replicate
the CVS setup that FreeBSD uses.  I can work on describing how someone
can replicate the subversion setup of FreeBSD, including access-control
and email notifications, and _then_ we can de-orbit the article and the
cvs-freebsd setup.