Some help needed

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Jan 9 22:41:27 UTC 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 10:24 PM, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : find /usr/src -print0 | xargs -0 fgrep -hC 3 "All advertising
> materials mentioning features" | fgrep -A 1 \
> : "software developed by" | grep -v "4. The name of"  | cut -b 3-
> :
> : ...and then maybe through uniq, or maybe switching to Perl or
> Python would be
> : better.  :-)
>
> the netbsd tool does this already, and deals with a bunch of special
> cases.  I'd like for us to have two new pages.  The first is for
> advertising clause compliance.  That's what the tool does, kinda.

OK.  It would be useful to mention the name of this tool, or put it
into the ports tree, so other people can track it down more easily.

> it needs a little refinement to deal with a couple of special cases
> and
> to change its output from troff to sgml.  btw, what is advertising?
> nobody knows...

The US FTC has some definitions and rules about what constitutes
advertising:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/dotcom/index.html

...as for the output format, I'd try to generate a plaintext list of
acknowledgement statements drawn from the licenses, and then worry
about converting them to SGML and from there to whatever other output
format is desired.

--
-Chuck