Some help needed

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jan 9 23:01:13 UTC 2007

In message: <B04ACA8D-AD32-4E29-AD23-3AF93121FA77 at mac.com>
            Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> writes:
: On Jan 8, 2007, at 10:24 PM, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > : find /usr/src -print0 | xargs -0 fgrep -hC 3 "All advertising
: > materials mentioning features" | fgrep -A 1 \
: > : "software developed by" | grep -v "4. The name of"  | cut -b 3-
: > :
: > : ...and then maybe through uniq, or maybe switching to Perl or
: > Python would be
: > : better.  :-)
: >
: > the netbsd tool does this already, and deals with a bunch of special
: > cases.  I'd like for us to have two new pages.  The first is for
: > advertising clause compliance.  That's what the tool does, kinda.
:
: OK.  It would be useful to mention the name of this tool, or put it
: into the ports tree, so other people can track it down more easily.

The tool can be http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/extract-contrib-string.pl
and is at this point a verbatim copy of the same file somewhere in
NetBSD (I forget the exact path).  This tool requires some hand-touch
ups after the fact...

: > it needs a little refinement to deal with a couple of special cases
: > and
: > to change its output from troff to sgml.  btw, what is advertising?
: > nobody knows...
:
: The US FTC has some definitions and rules about what constitutes
: advertising:
:
: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/dotcom/index.html

Well, I'm more concerned about when they are triggered, since the
language is a little unclear "All advertising materials mentioning
features or use of the this software must display..."  How direct does
the link have to be?  If I mention networking, do I have to mention
the tcp, udp, ip stacks?  The ethernet driver?  The vm code necessary
to have a running system at all?  If one says it is a berekely unix,
does that trigger all the advertising clauses, or just the ones that
were in 4.4 BSD?  Since the FreeBSD project doesn't do any explicit
advertising, we really don't have to do anything if we wanted to take
as narrow a reading of the above clause as possible...

Having said that, I think it is our duty to produce the list for
others to use.  If we have it, and we have links to it (maybe ok, but
how one must display the text is also vague), then we'd be good even
on a rediculously expansive reading of the phrase...

: ...as for the output format, I'd try to generate a plaintext list of
: acknowledgement statements drawn from the licenses, and then worry
: about converting them to SGML and from there to whatever other output
: format is desired.

Works for me.

Warner