14.0-CURRENT

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 25 19:39:28 UTC 2021

On 2021-Mar-25, at 10:23, Andrew Mitchell via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I am new to FreeBSD and to Raspberry too.
> uname -a shows a generic 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD on my RPi4 B.
> Nowhere can I find any information about this version.

Just addressing the above but only for one possible
direction for what you are potentially after.

You did not identify how you got FreeBSD installed.
If it was via a snapshot download, you did not report
which snapshot file you downloaded and put on media.

Nor did you report the actual, full output of your
uname command.

I'm guessing that you are unclear on the identification
of the commit that matches a snapshot that you downloaded
or related information. So the below is notes about just
that.

Using examples from my context (that are not directly
based on the main git branch but on a personal branch
"mm-src"):

# uname -a
FreeBSD RPi4B 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT mm-src-n245445-def0058cc690 GENERIC-NODBG  arm64
# uname -ap
FreeBSD RPi4B 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT mm-src-n245445-def0058cc690 GENERIC-NODBG  arm64 aarch64
# uname -apKU
FreeBSD RPi4B 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT mm-src-n245445-def0058cc690 GENERIC-NODBG  arm64 aarch64 1400005 1400005

(I recommend use of the last form.)

In the above the version information specific to the
commit involved is:

mm-src-n245445-def0058cc690 (yours would reference "main" instead of "mm-src")
1400005 (for the kernel compatibility identification)
1400005 (for the "world" compatibility identification)

(Installing an updated kernel without updating world
is a way to make the last 2 distinct. But only some
updates change the figures.)

So, using a main example instead of my own personal
branch: main-n245444-7381bbee29df

The 7381bbee29df identifies the commit in main.
The n245444 identifies how many commits have
happened at or before (for a particular way of
counting the branching structure history).

For something like the snapshot of 14 that is at:

https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20210318-a771bf748f9-245511.img.xz

that would be main-n245511-a771bf748f9 that would
be displayed by uname by default.

Note: The part of the file name that has the 24511
was only recently corrected to count the same way
as uname's counts are done. So sufficiently old
snapshots will not match uname's n?????? in that
part of the file name.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com